Working Papers and Other Reports
Our working paper archive is intended to provide immediate public access to research generated by our project. Papers posted here may be revised before publication in other venues. The working papers are posted in accessible Acrobat PDF files.
- Hall, T.E. and Alvarez, R.M. (2012). Defining the barriers to political participation for individuals with disabilities (Working Paper #001).
- McGrew, G. (2012). Assistive Technology for the Voting Process (Working Paper #002).
- Sanford, J., Milchus, K., and Rebola, C. (2012). Accessible Voting Technology Workshops Project Report (Working Paper #003).
- Cook, D. and Harniss, M. (2012). Accessible Voting Technology: Analysis and Recommendations (Working Paper #004).
- Sanford, J. et al. (2013). Understanding Voting Experience of People with Disabilities (Working Paper #005).
- Kane, S.K. and Galbraith, C. (2013). Design Guidelines for Creating Voting Technology for Adults with Aphasia (Working Paper #006).
- Chisnell, D., Davies, D. and Summers, K. (2013). Any device, anywhere, any time: A responsive, accessible ballot design (Working Paper #007).
- McGrew, G. (2013). Assessing Usability of the iPad for Ballot Marking with Voters Living in Group Residential Facilities (Working Paper #008).
- Swierenga, S.J., Ismirle, J., Jackson, J., Pierce, G.L., Decloniemaclennan, R., Mathew, A., and Blosser, S. (2013) Smart Joystick for Accessible Voting Machines (Working Paper #009)
- MacDonald, K., and Singh, A. (2013) Providing Election Services to People in Residential Care Facilities in California: Case Studies and a Pilot Project (Working Paper #010)
- Harley, L., Kline, K., Price, C., Jones, A., Mosley, S., Farmer, S., and Fain, B. (2013) A Web Based Voting Application Study of User Input Devices for Older Adult Voters with Arthritis (Working Paper #011)
- Harley, L., Kline, K., Price, C., Jones, A., Mosley, S., Farmer, S., and Fain, B. (2013) A Web Based Voting Application Study of Display Layouts for Older Adult Voters with Arthritis (Working Paper #012)
- Harley, L., Kline, K., Price, C., Jones, A., Mosley, S., Farmer, S., and Fain, B. (2013) A Web Based Voting Application Study of Fonts for Voters with Dyslexia (Working Paper #013)
- Kline, K., Bell, C., Jahant, H., Price, C., Jones, A., Mosley, S., Farmer, S., Harley, L. and Fain, B. (2013) A Study of Plain Language Writing Style for Ballots in English, Spanish, and Chinese (Working Paper #014)
- Harley, L., Mosley, S., Jones, A., Baranak, A., Kline, K., and Fain, B. (2013) A Web Based Voting Application Software Design (Working Paper #015)
- Bell, C., Harley, L., Baranak, A., Jones, A., and Fain, B. (2013) An Investigation of the Voting System Certification Procedures (Working Paper #016)
- Bell, C., Kline, K., and Fain, B. (2013) An Evaluation of Voting System Concepts for Los Angeles County VSAP Initiative: Accessibility Issues and Recommendations (Working Paper #017)
This report is part of the work of the Los Angeles Registrar-Recorder/County Clerk’s Voting Systems Assessment Project (VSAP), contributing to the ongoing refinement process of determining the current and future needs of voters.
- Baranak, A. (2013) Designing an Accessible iPad Voting Case (Working Paper #018)
- Crittenden, C., Farzin, F., Gillette, D., and Niemeyer, G. (2013) Design and Testing of a Voter Guide App for Individuals with Early Stage Alzheimer’s Disease (Working Paper #019)
Related files: Android Prototypes (4.4M), SnapText Demo (49Kb), and Attachments (5.2M).
The prototypes are designed to run on a Nexus 7 or most Android tablet but may not work on smaller mobile devices.
- Kane, S. (2014) VotingVoice: An Accessible Voter’s Guide for People with Aphasia (Working Paper#020)
Vote Your Mind
Smart Voting Joystick
- Video demonstration (YouTube)
Other journal articles, project websites, and conference posters and presentations.
- The Information Technology & Innovation Foundation (2012). 50 Ideas for More Accessible Voting.
- Rebola, C. (2012). Designing New Technologies within a Participatory Approach Design For All, 7.7, July 2012, pages 144-164.
- Rebola, C. et al. (2013). Accessible Technology Design: Assessment of Problem-Solving Approaches. MEI 36 (in press).
- Lee, S., Xiong, X., Yilin, L. E., and Sanford, J. (2012). EZ Ballot with Multimodal Inputs and Outputs. ACM Assets’12, Boulder, Colorado, October 22-24, 2012. DOI 10.1145/2384916.2384960
- Xiong, W. and Sanford, J. (2013). SlideType: Universal Design Text-Entry Interface for Touchscreen Devices.
- Lee, S., Xiong, X., Yilin, L. E., and Sanford, J. (2013). Development of a More Universal Voting Interface. Proceedings of the Human Factors and Ergonomics Society Annual Meeting, September 2013. (PDF)
- Sanford, J. (2013). Voting Experiences of Voters with Disabilities in Georgia & Missouri in Georgia Council on Developmental Disabilities Making a Difference, Winter 2013.
- Summers, K., et al. (2013). Any device, anywhere, any time: A responsive, accessible ballot design (Annotated Bibliography).
- Dennis, T. et al. (2013). Smart Voting Joystick (Project Website). Michigan State University Resource Center for Personas with Disabilities.
- Dennis, T. et al. (2013). Accessible Voting Joystick (Final Report). Michigan State University Resource Center for Personas with Disabilities.
- MSU Today (2013) MSU-Created Joystick Advances Independent Voting. MSU Today, October 29, 2013