Reports, Working Papers and Other Materials
Our working papers provide immediate public access to research generated by our project. Project materials such as demonstrations, code repositories, and sample files are also available from this page.
- The Information Technology & Innovation Foundation (2014). Innovations in Accessible Elections. (HTML) (PDF)
- The Information Technology & Innovation Foundation (2012). 50 Ideas for More Accessible Voting.
Papers posted here may be revised before publication in other venues. The working papers are posted in accessible Acrobat PDF files.
- Hall, T.E. and Alvarez, R.M. (2012). Defining the barriers to political participation for individuals with disabilities (Working Paper #001).
- McGrew, G. (2012). Assistive Technology for the Voting Process (Working Paper #002).
- Sanford, J., Milchus, K., and Rebola, C. (2012). Accessible Voting Technology Workshops Project Report (Working Paper #003).
- Cook, D. and Harniss, M. (2012). Accessible Voting Technology: Analysis and Recommendations (Working Paper #004).
- Sanford, J. et al. (2013). Understanding Voting Experience of People with Disabilities (Working Paper #005).
- Kane, S.K. and Galbraith, C. (2013). Design Guidelines for Creating Voting Technology for Adults with Aphasia (Working Paper #006).
- Chisnell, D., Davies, D. and Summers, K. (2013). Any device, anywhere, any time: A responsive, accessible ballot design (Working Paper #007).
- McGrew, G. (2013). Assessing Usability of the iPad for Ballot Marking with Voters Living in Group Residential Facilities (Working Paper #008).
- Swierenga, S.J., Ismirle, J., Jackson, J., Pierce, G.L., Decloniemaclennan, R., Mathew, A., and Blosser, S. (2013) Smart Joystick for Accessible Voting Machines (Working Paper #009)
- MacDonald, K., and Singh, A. (2013) Providing Election Services to People in Residential Care Facilities in California: Case Studies and a Pilot Project (Working Paper #010)
- Harley, L., Kline, K., Price, C., Jones, A., Mosley, S., Farmer, S., and Fain, B. (2013) A Web Based Voting Application Study of User Input Devices for Older Adult Voters with Arthritis (Working Paper #011)
- Harley, L., Kline, K., Price, C., Jones, A., Mosley, S., Farmer, S., and Fain, B. (2013) A Web Based Voting Application Study of Display Layouts for Older Adult Voters with Arthritis (Working Paper #012)
- Harley, L., Kline, K., Price, C., Jones, A., Mosley, S., Farmer, S., and Fain, B. (2013) A Web Based Voting Application Study of Fonts for Voters with Dyslexia (Working Paper #013)
- Kline, K., Bell, C., Jahant, H., Price, C., Jones, A., Mosley, S., Farmer, S., Harley, L. and Fain, B. (2013) A Study of Plain Language Writing Style for Ballots in English, Spanish, and Chinese (Working Paper #014)
- Harley, L., Mosley, S., Jones, A., Baranak, A., Kline, K., and Fain, B. (2013) A Web Based Voting Application Software Design (Working Paper #015)
- Bell, C., Harley, L., Baranak, A., Jones, A., and Fain, B. (2013) An Investigation of the Voting System Certification Procedures (Working Paper #016)
- Bell, C., Kline, K., and Fain, B. (2013) An Evaluation of Voting System Concepts for Los Angeles County VSAP Initiative: Accessibility Issues and Recommendations (Working Paper #017) This report is part of the work of the Los Angeles Registrar-Recorder/County Clerk’s Voting Systems Assessment Project (VSAP), contributing to the ongoing refinement process of determining the current and future needs of voters.
- Baranak, A. (2013) Designing an Accessible iPad Voting Case (Working Paper #018)
- Crittenden, C., Farzin, F., Gillette, D., and Niemeyer, G. (2013) Design and Testing of a Voter Guide App for Individuals with Early Stage Alzheimer’s Disease and Attachments (5.2M) (Working Paper #019)
- Kane, S. (2014) VotingVoice: An Accessible Voter’s Guide for People with Aphasia (Working Paper #020)
- Harris, F. et al. (2014). Development of an Online Course for Poll Workers to Improve the Voting Experience of People with Disabilities (Working Paper #021)
Prototypes, demonstrations, and source code from the projects. Anywhere Ballot
- Ballot demo (live web page)
- Pattern library (web page or PDF file)
- Theme files (900Kb zip file)
- Screen walk-through video (YouTube)
- Concept introduction (YouTube)
- Assisting Voters with Different Needs (web site)
- Universal Design of the Voting Process (web site)
iPad Voting Case
- Voting Case Design (8 MB zip file)
GTRI Ballot Test
- Voting Test Application (web site)
Smart Voting Joystick
- Video demonstration (YouTube)
Vote Your Mind
- Voter Guide demo (Download Android prototypes, 4.4M) The prototype is designed to run on a Nexus 7 or most Android tablet and may not work on smaller mobile devices.
- SnapText Demo (49Kb zip file)
- Text-to-Speech demo video (YouTube)
- Screen walk-through video (YouTube)
Other journal articles, project websites, presentations, and publications. Innovation workshops
- Rebola, C. (2012). Designing New Technologies within a Participatory Approach Design For All, 7.7, July 2012, pages 144-164.
- Rebola, C. et al. (2013). Accessible Technology Design: Assessment of Problem-Solving Approaches. MEI 36 (in press).
- Summers, K., et al. (2013). Any device, anywhere, any time: A responsive, accessible ballot design (Annotated Bibliography).
- Lee, S., Xiong, X., Yilin, L. E., and Sanford, J. (2012). EZ Ballot with Multimodal Inputs and Outputs. ACM Assets’12, Boulder, Colorado, October 22-24, 2012. DOI 10.1145/2384916.2384960
- Lee, S., Xiong, X., Yilin, L. E., and Sanford, J. (2013). Development of a More Universal Voting Interface. Proceedings of the Human Factors and Ergonomics Society Annual Meeting, September 2013. (PDF)
- Sanford, J. (2013). Voting Experiences of Voters with Disabilities in Georgia & Missouri in Georgia Council on Developmental Disabilities Making a Difference, Winter 2013.
- Xiong, W. and Sanford, J. (2013). SlideType: Universal Design Text-Entry Interface for Touchscreen Devices.
Smart Voting Joystick
- Dennis, T. et al. (2013). Smart Voting Joystick (Project Website). Michigan State University Resource Center for Personas with Disabilities.
- Dennis, T. et al. (2013). Accessible Voting Joystick (Final Report). Michigan State University Resource Center for Personas with Disabilities.
- MSU Today (2013) MSU-Created Joystick Advances Independent Voting. MSU Today, October 29, 2013