Resources – Polling Places
Setting up the polling place
- Designing Polling Place Materials – Effective Designs for the Administration of Federal Elections.
EAC materials include template for polling place signs, created by Design for Democracy
- Training the Poll Worker: Empowering the Blind Voter.
NFB Nonvisual Election Technology Curriculum
- EAC Election Management Guidelines - Chapter 9 – Polling Place and Vote Center Management (PDF)
This chapter gives information on locating sites, reviews the recommended guidelines for polling places based on the ADA Standards for Accessible Design
- EAC Election Management Guidelines - Chapter 19 – Accessibility (PDF)
This chapter covers ways to improve accessibility and to incorporate good practices into all aspects of election administration.
Federal guidelines and reports
- ADA Checklist for Polling Places
The Department of Justice guidance for evaluating and setting up sites for polling places.
- Voters with Disabilities: Additional Monitoring of Polling Places Could Further Improve Accessibility, US General Accounting Office GAO-09-941 September 30, 2009
- Voters With Disabilities: Access to Polling Places and Alternative Voting Methods, (PDF) US General Accounting Office, GAO 02-107, October 2002
- Accessible Polling Places for the Visually Impaired: A Compilation of Survey Results (PDF). Gillian E. Piner and Michael D. Byrne, Rice University at EVT/WOTE 2011. Audio of the talk. Video of the talk (no captions)