Resources – Election design guidelines
EAC’s Voluntary Voting System Guidelines
The Election Assistance Commission certifies voting systems to federal guidelines. The current version is VVSG 2005. An updated version, VVSG 1.1 is currently under review
- Voluntary Voting System Guidelines (VVSG) 1.0 (2005) (PDF)
The current standard for federal certification. Usability and accessibility guidelines are in Chapter 3
- VVSG Version 1.1 (Drafts) (PDF)
The draft version currently in review. Accessibility guidelines are in Chapter 3.
Overseas and Military Voters
- EAC’s Project to Support Military and Overseas Voters
Project overview and links.
- UOCAVA Pilot Program Testing Requirements (PDF)
The August, 2010 version of the requirements for pilot projects for uniformed and overseas voters, including usability and accessibility.
Election Management Guidelines
- EAC Election Management Guidelines - Accessibility (PDF)
Chapter 19 from of a series of election management guidelines from the EAC. This chapter covers ways to improve accessibility and to incorporate these good practices into all aspects of election administration.
Ballot Design and Instructions
- Designing Polling Place Materials
Effective designs for the administration of federal elections. Ballot design templates and reports on the research and pilot projects to develop them. Created by AIGA Design for Democracy for the EAC.
- NFB Nonvisual Election Technology Curriculum
The National Federation of the Blind has developed guidelines for nonvisual access to elections.
- NFB evaluation criteria for voting systems
Criteria for electronic, vote-by-phone, and web-based voting systems and a HAVA usability checklist for polling places.
- Guidelines for Writing Clear Instructions and Messages for Voters and Poll Workers. (PDF)
Janice (Ginny) Redish, Ph.D. Report to NIST, February 2006
NIST Research Reports
- Improving the Usability and Accessibility of Voting Systems and Products (PDF) Sharon J. Laskowski, Marguerite Autry, John Cugini, William Killam, James Yen. NIST Special Publication 500-256, May 2004
- Report of Finding: Use of Language in Ballot Instructions (PDF). Janice (Ginny) Redish, Ph.D., Dana E. Chisnell, Ethan Newby, Sharon Laskowski, Svetlana, Lowry. NIST IR 7556, December 2008
- Guidelines for Using Color in Voting Systems. (PDF) Maureen Stone, Sharon Laskowski, and Svetlana Lowry. NIST-IR 7537, October 2008
- User-Based Conformance Test for the Usability of Voting Equipment (DOC) Preliminary Report to the TGDC/NIST, March 2006
- Human Performance Metrics for Voting Equipment. (PDF) NIST Report to the TGDC, March 2006
Other Research Reports
- Accessibility Review Report for California Top-to-Bottom Voting Systems Review (PDF) Noel Runyan and Jim Tobias. Report to the Secretary of State of California, July 2007